Gum Disease Prevention and Treatment
by Dr. Pastiu, Sewell, NJ Dentist
Gingivitis and other gum diseases are a major cause of poor health and loss of teeth
Fortunately, regular gum disease treatment cleans your gums and corrects or avoids gum disease and infection so you’ll maintain healthy gums and teeth.
Why Our Patients Choose Gum Disease Treatment
- To prevent or treat gum inflammation (gingivitis).
- To eliminate bad breath due to bacteria and plaque build-up (gingivitis).
- To prevent or treat periodontitis (late-stage gum disease).
- To eliminate bleeding gums due to gum disease.
How Gum Disease Treatment Works
During your check-up and teeth cleaning appointment, Dr. Pastiu will examine your teeth and gums for any signs of gingivitis or periodontal gum disease. If signs of gingivitis or periodontitis (advanced gum disease) exist, Dr. Pastiu will recommend immediate periodontal gum disease treatment. Don’t panic! Periodontal gum disease is a fairly common problem and is usually simple and painless to fix.
Gum disease treatment involves the following steps:
- First, Dr Pastiu removes the hardened plaque (called “calculus”), from below your gum line.
- Then Dr. Pastiu uses a procedure called “scaling” to smooth the tooth “roots” and reduce the areas prone to plaque buildup. Any pockets of infection found will be cleaned and “irrigated” if needed.
- If you have advance gum disease which requires surgery, Dr. Pastiu can perform laser gum surgery procedures, or he will refer you to a trusted colleague for specialized care.